Before addressing top hacker, it is important to identify some facts about mosquitoes:
- Female mosquitoes bite to access protein in blood
- There are more than 3,500 species of mosquitoes, and the Anopheles mosquitoes carry malaria
- Female mosquitoes can lay a cluster of 300 eggs at a time
- Mosquitoes are cold blooded and prefer temperatures above 80 degrees
- The average lifespan of a mosquitoes is two months, and female mosquitoes can live up to six months if hibernating
- Mosquitoes smell to detect CO2, folic acid, octenol, lotions, etc.
- Mosquitoes do not transmit HIV
Malaria is a disease of the blood cause by a parasite, infecting female Anopheles. The two factors cause 90% of malaria in Africa: mosquitoes lifespans are longer and biting humans are preferred. Prevention of malaria has several methods: vector control, long-lasting insecticidal nets (LLINs), indoor residual spraying (IRS) with insecticides, and antimalarial drugs. Intellectual Ventures in Seattle is integrating diverse teams, collective ideas, technology and unconventional approaches to combat malaria, tuberculosis diagnostic, vaccine logistic, etc. Pablos Holman, inventor and hacker, is a futurist working at Intellectual Ventures Laboratory, inventing the world’s biggest problems. Holman’s TEDx Talks is linked Inventing for the world’s largest problem
Holman, P. “Inventing for the world’s largest problems: Ted Talks, 26 June 2016.” Online video clip. YouTube, 26 June 2016,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtYW4sPefhY. Accessed 19 October 2017.
Intellectual Venture “About Us.” Intellectual Venture, http://www.intellectualventureslab.com/about. Accessed 19, October 2017.
Mega Catch. “Mosquito Facts – 33 Things You Didn’t Know About Mosquitoes.” Megacatch.com, https://www.megacatch.com/mosquito-faqs/mosquito-facts.html. Accessed 19 October 2017.
WHO. “Malaria Fact Updated April 2017” WHO, April 2017, http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs094/en/. Accessed 19 October 2017.